Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Long Paper Topic

I’m not quite sure what I am going to write my paper on yet, but I have it down to two options.

Option One: The first option that I am considering is inspired by Pudd’nhead Wilson, and it is related to the use of fingerprinting and palmistry in the novel. I am thinking that I could write a paper about the prevalence of pseudoscience (palmistry, phrenology, etc.) in the late 19th century. I thought it was interesting that both fingerprinting (based on actual science) and palmistry (which is nothing close to a science) are considered the same thing. I think that it is interesting that in the 19th century, a time of so much scientific progress (at the tail-end of the age of enlightenment and the formulation of Darwin’s theory of evolution) that so much nonsense could be taken for actual science.

Option Two: The other option utilizes my interest in the dialects which are used by different characters. I would (probably) focus on how a character’s manner of speech affects their ability to pass. I would specifically focus on the Characters of Eliza (& George) in Uncle Tom’s Cabin and Roxanna in Pudd’nhead Wilson. In the cases of both sets of characters they appear as though they could be white (or Mediterranean or Creole) one is in a much better position to pass for one because of their dialect. While both Eliza and Roxanna were raised in similar circumstances, Roxanna finds herself at a disadvantage when compared to Eliza.

I have some qualms in regards to both of these topics. First off, I’m pretty sure that the former topic is too broad and vague for a paper to be done well on that topic, without it being sharply narrowed. I also fear that the latter topic may be too specific, and I will not be able to produce a paper that is long enough. While I know that the second option is more refined, I am unsure of whether I’ll be able to find sources (specifically historical ones) that will relate to my topic, while I am sure that an abundance of material exists in regards to pseudoscience.

Basically, I’m not very sure. Marie, what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Marie Drews said...

Option 1: Yes, that is interesting that palmistry and fingerprinting are conflated. Were they thought of as one and the same at the end of the 19th century? In terms of your concerns about this topic being too broad -- there are specific ways you could narrow it. Looking specifically at Twain's portrayal of fingerprinting and palmistry is one limitation (as opposed to looking at how these themes play out for several authors). You could choose to look at what the Century is publishing on these issues. The debate over science/pseudoscience is interesting, too. What happens to fingerprinting when Twain associates it so closely to palmistry? Is he making some kind of comment on the two practices?

Option 2: This also has the possibility of being a great topic. I don't think that you'll have to worry about this topic being too narrow. In fact, it does seem possible that you could write a paper of the right scope and length through looking specifically at the characters of Eliza and Roxy.

In terms of making choice . . . I encourage you to choose the topic that will best hold your interest for the next several weeks. Does either of those topics seem more interesting on that account?